Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Christian community

Henri Nouwen: "Christian community is a community of people who remind each other who they truly are - the beloved of God."

I have been looking for Christian community the wrong way. The logical, "right", culturally appropriate way. But i don't think God's way.

I've been looking for Christians who look like me, who are doing what i'm doing, who are who i am. But how can i tell who is "the beloved of God"?

I've seen some older women, married for fifty years, beaming at their aged husbands when they're called our for anniversary congratulations, and the look in their eyes as they find those of their man, and connect, move me. The beauty is there only for the reason that they are so well and completely loved.

And in the same way, will people only look like His beloved if they are mine, first?

It is so easy to see the ways we are different, the things we do not have in common. So hard to reach beyond and connect as well loved, satisfied and contented in His grace and peace, beloved children...

I bought another Jason Upton album today (ain't technology grand?) and he is one who is constantly washing me in the Word, reminding me of who I am, and where i'm going. That there is a point beyond what our culture has made the goal, which is basically to look good, and spend money.

How can i be that for someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment